Monday, September 19, 2011

Homemade Hamburger Buns


If you're up for the challenge, I highly recommend making your own hamburger buns. They aren't like your typically store bought buns. Honestly I like both store bought and homemade. The homemade buns are pretty heavy & yeasty. I know that doesn't sound appetizing (at all) but that's as far as my adjective vocabulary is taking me this evening. It's basically like eating a condensed yeast roll from Luby's or Picadilly (or MCL for you Midwest folks).

Ingredients
2 packages active dry yeast
1 cup plus 2 tbs warm water
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup of sugar
1 egg
1 tsp salt
3 1/2 cups of all purpose flour

Directions
1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add oil and sugar; let stand for 5 minutes. Add egg, salt and flour to form a soft dough.

2. Turn onto floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic (about 3-5 minutes). Do not let rise. Divide into 12 pieces (6 if you like bigger buns); shape each into a ball. Place 3 inches apart on greased baking sheet.

3. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes. Smoosh slightly and bake at 425 degrees for 15-20 minutes until golden brown. Remove from sheet to cool on wire racks.

4. Slice them in half and serve with a big 'ole juicy hamburger patty.

**Note, my buns never turned golden brown, but I knew they were done because I grabbed one straight out of the oven and ate it:).

No comments: