Yitin sent me this cute little website called Weelicious! Even though I don't have any kids, this website still had some great & healthy recipes that I think even Ben would like. I decided to make the breakfast cupcakes for church on Sunday.
If you are used to high sugar muffins something like Otis Spunkmeyer's blueberry muffin, then you are not going to like these. If you like the idea of low sugar food, then I suggest you try! My "frosting" didn't turn out as well as Weelicious' but it still tasted good despite being a little drippy. Next time I'll use less jelly.
Peanut Butter & Jelly Breakfast Cupcakes (Makes 20 Mini Cupcakes)
1 1/4 Cup All Purpose Flour
2 Tsp Baking Powder
1/2 Tsp Salt
1/4 Cup Peanut Butter (you can also use almond, cashew, or sunflower butter)
1 Large Egg
2 Tbsps Sugar
1 1/4 Cup Milk (low fat or whole)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Whisk the first 3 ingredients in a bowl.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk the peanut butter, egg and sugar until combined, then whisk in the milk until incorporated.
4. Whisk the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until just combined (you don’t want to over beat the mixture).
5. Grease or line mini muffin tins and fill 2/3 of the way up with the batter.
6. Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
8. Spread the top of each cupcake with frosting (recipe below) and serve.
*This batter can also be used to make pancakes
Jelly Frosting (Makes about 2 cups)
1/2 Cup Whipped or Regular Cream Cheese (softened in a microwave or at room temperature)
1/4 Cup Jelly, Jam or Preserves
1. Place all ingredients in a bowl and whisk until throughly combined (you want the mixture to be smooth like frosting).
2. Spread on cupcakes and serve.